During a great storm in Table Bay in 1865, nineteen ships were stranded. Amongst the many schooners was the Kehrwieder, the ship of Captain Johann Heinrich Ferdinand Parow (not “Sparrow). After being stranded, Captain Parow settled down in the Cape of Good Hope and married Johanna Wilhelmina Timmerman, the daughter of the family that helped Captain Parow after being stranded on the Cape coast.
Parow quickly realised the potential value of the Tyger Valley area north of Cape Town and that the area held great opportunities for cattle trade. Captain Parow soon moved inland to this area and started selling ground in the area which is today known as Parow, which built up a great deal of wealth for the Captain.
Captain Parow’s telescope is in the Town Hall of Parow.
The Voortrekker Road Corridor Improvement district stretching from Woodstock to Bellville was recently formed to improve the safety, appearance, and identity of the area in exchange for a levy contributed by local property owners. The area is receiving more attention from investors due to the City of Cape Town investing R170 million in the area’s infrastructure.
Golden Heights is conveniently situated within walking distance of Parow Centre, the University of South Africa, and many more amenities.